Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Oh where oh where did my waistline go? Oh where oh where could it be?

Somehow between living in the south, living with my husband and my love of everything sweet and chocolaty I seem to have gained a few pounds. As it is New Years and I need to make one of those pesky resolutions and all that, I’ve decided to try getting back into a healthier life style and lose a little weight. There is only one fool-proof method I’ve found for losing weight. The best part is you don’t even realize you’re doing it. There is no weighing, measuring, or any of that nonsense. It just happens like magic. I call it the “Living in France” diet. Yup, that’s it. You move to France, and magically the weight disappears. I lived there for one semester and lost 20 lbs. I didn’t diet; I didn’t give up alcohol or chocolate (or any of the other wonderful, sinfully delicious desserts that are found on every street corner in la belle France). Of course, I walked absolutely everywhere not only because I had to but because I could. Also, I found my true love there: the market. Every Saturday the center of town became a festival of food complete with street musicians and performers. I’d never seen so much fresh and varied produce all beautifully laid out like a painting. It was so different, so beautiful, so inviting. I simply had to try everything.



Sigh… I still shed a tear when I think of the fresh artichokes and the jam lady (mmm raspberry lavender jam! Ooo or pumpkin citrus marmalade). Sadly the France diet is a little out of reach. Getting a job there is next to impossible plus Tyler has no desire to move out of Georgia let alone out of the country.

It looks like I’m going to have to stick with the old fashioned method… diet and exercise. As Weight Watchers and gym memberships are really expensive, Tyler and I are going to have to go it on our own. We’ve purloined a couple Weight Watchers “Getting Started” books and are going to use those to help guide us. Indie, our dog, has also promised to help by being more insistent that we walk him every day (the lack of sidewalks and street lamps make walking him out here in the country a bit harder). So in the spirit of going healthy, here is a healthier main dish that I found that Tyler absolutely loves:

Bourbon Chicken
Serves 4

2 pounds Chicken Breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1-5 tbs Olive Oil
2 cloves Garlic, minced fine
¼ tsp Ginger
¾ tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
¼ cup Bourbon (or Apple Juice)
¼ cup Light Brown Sugar
2 tbs Ketchup
1 tbs Cider Vinegar
½ cup Water
1/3 cup Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add Chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken and add remaining ingredients to skillet. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until well mixed and dissolved. Add chicken and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over brown rice.

1 comment: