Thursday, January 28, 2010

Pamplemousse

Lunch: Pepperoni and Cheese Calzones with Marinara and Strawberry JELLO
Dinner: Chicken and Dumplings (with veggies!), Rice and Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today is adventure Thursday. Getting off the MARTA train this morning I suddenly felt this déjà vu/ nostalgia for France. Maybe it’s because I’m wearing my Pumas. So, I decided to go on an adventure between making lunch and dinner. I had a lot of time on my hands in France, I often spent my afternoons going on adventures. I decided I wanted to see how far it was to walk to Piedmont Park from the frat. It was a decidedly beautiful day for a walk; Sunny, low 60’s with a cool breeze. So, I strapped on my book bag (which contains my laptop and everything I might need throughout the day and weighs in at around 20-25 pounds) and headed out. I did not look up how to get there; I just headed in the general direction. On the way, I saw the Margret Mitchell house, outside of which there were a couple tourists snapping pictures. I saw a picket line of construction workers in front of a tall building (très français!). I petted a very cute Dalmatian who reminded me of Indie (most likely stupid). I saw a fountain outside of a spa that I really wanted to take my shoes off and walk around in. I did find the park although it turns out I went a rather round-about way which is fine as I was out for adventure. I found a much quicker way back. I also had to stop at Publix on the way back to get some milk as some little thief got into it and I needed milk for the chicken and dumplings as well as the French toast tomorrow. While at Publix, I found some grapefruit Perrier. I decided it was a sign that I had a good adventure because a. I love Perrier b. I love anything grapefruit c. grapefruit flavored Perrier is very hard to find stateside and most importantly c. grapefruit is my favorite word in French (pamplemousse pronounced pomplemousse) also puma is my favorite word in English. (Seriously, say puma a few times and see if it doesn’t make you smile.) I also found out that next time I go on an adventure, I should probably leave my pumas at home or at least wear better socks. (I hate it when your shoes wear the back of your ankles!)

Interesting fact: There was nearly 30 degrees difference between when I got on the bus this morning and when I got on the bus to go home.

About the following recipe:
The boys really love calzones; I also really love calzones. I love calzones because they are disgustingly easy to make and very versatile. I am rather hesitant to put this recipe up because it almost isn’t even a recipe. It’s more like a moment where you say “duh!” and then smack your forehead. But in the interest of keeping it real, I’m going to give it to you. It is honestly very hard to come up with ideas for lunch because they have to be quick (remember I’m cooking for 15-20 in only an hour) and they have to be fairly cheap but they guys also want a hot lunch. That makes variety rather difficult as you can only do so many hot sandwiches in a week, and the guys are rather leery of casseroles. The great thing about these calzones is that it meets all the criteria and it allows me to clean out the cupboards a bit. I’m always finding myself with some extra ham, bulk sausage or salami, a pound here or there. It isn’t really enough to make a meal out of, but throw it in some crust with cheese and voila… “calzone”. I know it probably doesn’t meet the traditional standards of calzone, and if you’re a purist you can call it a pizza pocket or something (although the sauce is not on the inside). I can even hide vegetables inside if I get the urge although I haven’t been that mean yet. I just want to let you know that I’m thinking about it.

“Calzones”
Serves 24

6 tubes Pillsbury Pizza Dough, Thin Crust Style
3-4 lbs Mozzarella Cheese (or mozzarella mixed with whatever you got)
4+ lbs Pepperoni (or your favorite filling examples: ham, browned Italian bulk sausage, shredded chicken etc)
Garlic Powder
Parmesan Cheese
Italian Herbs Blend
Marinara Sauce (You can use the jar kind, which they have a large jug of at Sam’s or you can use this recipe for homemade)

Preheat oven to 400. Lightly grease several large cookie sheets. Unroll one tube of dough on a cutting board or on a lightly floured counter. Carefully stretch the dough just a little so it’s about 10x12. Cut into 4 equal pieces. Put a handful of cheese and a handful of pepperoni on each piece. Place the toppings so they evenly cover half of each piece leaving a little room around all of the edges. Take the un-topped side and fold it over the toppings and pinch the sides closed. If the sides won’t stick together, you can roll the bottom lip up a little with the top and pinch it and it should stay closed. Repeat this with all the tubes and you should have 24 calzones. Place the calzones on the lightly greased cookie sheets 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the tops of the calzones with garlic powder, parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with hot marinara for dipping.

2 comments:

  1. So did you ever actually give them ramen and peanut butter for a meal?

    oh and "puma, puma, puma" tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I didn't, but the threat still hangs

    ReplyDelete