Monday, January 25, 2010

Tough Cookies Kid

It doesn’t happen very often, but when it does it is truly a sight to behold. That is, I’m generally a softy, a push-over, but get me angry and I can shoot with the big boys. Well, they’ve got me angry and all I can say is watch out. So this week will be all about tough love… or maybe tough shit (sorry, I warned you…). After all the problems at the lodge, after all the meetings, e-mails and discussions, they still screwed it up. Friday, there was much gnashing of teeth. I managed to keep my cool, I didn’t hurt anyone. But I think that was mainly because the problem causers stayed well clear of me, and we communicated via phone. I gave them fair warning. I let them know that they are walking a fine line with me and if they cross it again, it won’t be pretty. Well this week, it won’t be pretty.

I bet you can guess what happened. Yup, they failed yet again to get me the information. When they didn’t answer their phones Friday morning, I let a couple of the brothers know that the next week they would be having peanut butter and ramen because a. they didn’t get me the check to pay for groceries and b. they hadn’t told me who was eating. Unsurprisingly, the offenders were found in rather short order and made to give me the information I needed. I went grocery shopping, and it should have ended there. Then I went and checked my e-mail, and lo and behold… the numbers they gave me were wrong. Oops. Did I run out and get more groceries to cover for the mistake. Nope. I sent a very nice e-mail back saying tough shit (there I go again, ok, I didn’t really say tough shit, but it was certainly implied). I let them know I got groceries already and if there are any short comings during the week, they needed to let the brothers know why. I also let them know that their math skills were seriously wanting. I was a French major, and I abhor math. Yet, I still knew that neither set of numbers they gave me added up. (I know how many brothers are on the meal plan, and if the number of people eating is greater or less than the number of brothers on the plan… there’s a problem with the math). Hey they had their warning, I can be my father’s daughter when need strikes. Just ask me how I got out of paying a few for overweight luggage on my way home from France J (even more interesting, ask me how I got my luggage through the metro when it actually weighed more than I did).

I promised a recipe for buffalo chicken pot pie…

It’s in family size because you need to make individual pans otherwise the topping doesn’t turn out… which would be a very sad day.

Buffalo Chicken Pot Pie
Serves 6

2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, cooked and diced (you can use canned if you like, but chicken breast is better)
1 medium Onion, chopped
2 Carrots, chopped
2-3 stalks Celery, chopped
6 cloves Garlic, finely minced
¼ cup Butter
¼ cup Flour
½ cup Buffalo Sauce (I recommend getting the hot variety as it is diluted in the sauce)
2 cups Chicken Broth
Salt and Pepper
½ cup Cheddar Cheese or Blue Cheese Crumbles (I don’t like Blue Cheese, so it’s up to you)
2 cups Bisquick mix
1 cup Milk
2 Eggs
Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 375. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Sauté until tender 5-6 minutes. In sauce pan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, and continue whisking 1 minute to cook flour. Add in buffalo sauce, chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then lower temp and simmer 3 or so minutes until thickened. Add chicken and veggies to the sauce, and pour into a 9x13 casserole dish.

In a mixing bowl, mix together bisquick, cheese, egg and milk until well combined. Pour over chicken and vegetables, covering completely (mixture will be runny, don’t worry). Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until biscuit topping is golden brown and cooked through. (If you stick a knife in the middle of the biscuit crust, it should come out without any white batter on it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment